The New and Improved Print Capture in Notebook 10.6

*UPDATE*  Print Capture does not currently work on Windows 7 machines.  SMART are aware of the issue and are working on a solution.  We will provide updates when we receive them.

Once upon a time, there was a feature in SMART Notebook that allowed one to print from a Word document into the Notebook software. It was quite nice.

In recent versions of Notebook, when one printed from Word to Notebook using Print Capture, each page in the document became a page in Notebook. Unfortunately, each Word page became a static picture of the text and objects that could not be edited or manipulated. The image quality was not great, and, as a result, Print Capture was not a viable way to transfer documents to Notebook.

Well hello Notebook 10.6 (affectionately known as NBX6)! The new update to the software vastly improves Print Capture. As you will see in the video below, when the document is printed to NBX6, each line of text becomes an editable text box within a NBX6 page. And again, each page in the document will become a page in NBX6.  The image quality is also much improved, making this a quick and easy way to take your documents to Notebook!

This entry was posted in Notebook, Tips and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to The New and Improved Print Capture in Notebook 10.6

1. Pingback: Smart Print Capture on Windows 7

2. Robert says:

I upgraded to v10.6.140.1 on five computers. That fixed the problem on two of them for my account, but not for another user’s account. Long story short, I was able to get it to work on all computers and accounts by giving the “Users” security group Full Control of the Windows\Temp directory.

Long story, from an email I sent to a colleague:

A workaround that I discovered is to give the ‘users’ security group full control of the c:\windows\temp directory: When I went to print a test page from the virtual printer, it gave a different error, which was that it couldn’t find a file in the temp folder. I manually found and opened the file and it was an image of the test page. There were other files there containing other things that had failed to import. I noticed that my account had (for some reason) explicit full control of that folder on the computer in my office (where importing worked), but not the one in Winston (where it fails). Even though all VCS folks are in the VCS Staff security group, which is in turn in the Administrators group on all the instructor computers, that must not be sufficient given Win7’s user account control. Giving Users full control of the temp folder is probably overkill. There is probably some obscure security setting that just needs to be set, but it’s not worth figuring out. Whatever that setting is, it isn’t being set by the virtual printer, but it is required for Notebook to be able to open these tmp files.

3. OFP says:

If you go to the smarttech website and get the latest version (notebook 10.6.140.1 or higher), the printing problems has been resolved. The update does not appear in the the software’s update feature yet, you need to download the latest version from the website and install it. To save you time if you already have an earlier version installed, you can skip the license key (leave it blank) and uncheck all the content(since they are already installed it will find them). This fixed the problem for us on 100 or so Win7 Machines.

4. Chris says:

Having the same problem. Win 7 Pro 32 Bit, Office 2007
    Contacted SMART on 7/14/2010. Print Capture is still broke.
    It is high on the list to be fixed.

They “Hope” to have this resolved with a service pack update but would only say sometime before the schools start back.

On my list of stuff to fix after we roll out our machine images.

5. Supreet says:

Oh nice post!!! I just got the tips I have been searching for, I had just been looking for a software that could convert a word document into a notebook.

6. Roger says:

I tried the 10.6 Print Capture routine on two different computers (both XP) – one with Office 2007, the other with Office 2003 — the newly touted routine does not work on either.

7. Vonnie says:

I still get the old smart notebook capture. I have uninstalled the old version of notebook and reinstalled 10.6 twice and the drivers but still doesn’t work. Any suggestions?

8. David says:

SMART have acknowledged that Print Capture does not currently work with Windows 7. Here is a comment from Randy Tran at SMART:

Hi there,

Print Capture not working on Windows 7 is a known issue with the software for us. Rest assured that this problem is currently being worked on, but I personally have no time frame on it’s current progress (nothing coming down the grapevine essentially).
    SMART Technologies ULC

Randy Tran
    Technical Support Services
    e-mail:RandyTran@smarttech.com
    support@smarttech.com

Bringing people and ideas together

Hopefully we will have an updated version for Windows 7 soon.

9. Mthaxter says:

Hi Lynette,

Well with the latest version of NBX6, this is meant to fully integrate with Windows 7, but one more bit of info is needed…are you using Office 2007 products? If you are using 2003 it seems not to work.

Let us know either way. We’ll try as many different combinations of Word and Windows operating systems to find out more details within the next week or so.

10. Lynette says:

I just got a new computer…I have Notebook 10.6 and Windows 7…I am no longer able to use the Print Capture tool, which I used to use ALL the time…can anyone shed some light on how I can fix this please???

It says to try using an older version of notebook software…

11. Mthaxter says:

Hello Wanda…
    I did a vast search through SMART’s knowledge base and haven’t found any comments or updates in reference when Word 2003 or the Windows XP SNAFUs have been resolved. The moment we find out, I’ll update with a brand new post–Just be patient.

12. Mthaxter says:

Again to Mike,

I’ve tried creating an equation (quadratic) in MS WORD and then copy-pasted it into NBX6, and lo-n-behold, it copied just fine. When I doulble clicked on the equation, it opened up the new Notebook Math Tool equation editor, and I was able to edit the equation. Yet, you are correct, when it is printed to NBX6 each number, variable and math symbol is its own independent object in NB.

13. Wanda says:

When can we use this feature on Word 2003 as I teach notebooks software and Smart Board to our staff and would like to include this really neat new feature. I got it to work on 2007 Word, just not 2003 and our district still has this version.

14. mthaxter says:

Hi Val et al.,

Let’s add this to our list of working/not yet working categories–one does not have the capability to print from MS Office 2004/2008 (Mac) into NBX6.

@Mike, If you are using MS equation editor in Word, there maybe too many variables going on, ie super- and sub-scripts. Try copying and pasting the equations into NBX6 and see if the new Notebook Math Tools (NBMT) recognizes the equations as they are in Word.

15. Val says:

Does the new print capture feature also work on Macs? I have the new Notebook version installed, but don’t see the SMART Notebook Document Writer anywhere. Is it just for Windows machines?

16. Laura says:

I have the same issue as Debbie W. I checked everything and am still getting the same message when I try to send it to SMART Notebook Document Writer. I have Notebook 10.6 and the Drivers is the 10.6.48.0 version. What else can be done or what else should I check?

17. Mike says:

I like the idea and it seems to work well with written sentences but does not work well with mathematical sentences (e.g. having multiple equations on a word document). It breaks each equation up into too many individual pieces and the superscript and subscript doesn’t transfer well either.

18. Renny says:

Sorry for my typo in the previous post. Should be “right” not “write.” ;)

19. Renny says:

Hi All,
    I wish I read this BEFORE uninstalling and reinstalling and doing a CLEAN uninstall (as advised by SmartTech) and reinstalling. Would have saved me lots of time and frustration. All of our school’s computers still have XP and are probably not going to upgrade to Vista. We have a few machines with Office 2007, but mostly 2003. Faigy was write in saying that it doesn’t work with XP. It only says, “Print Notebook Capture.” I even tried deleting it and using the Print Capture download which I found through Google. No luck… UGHHH… This is such an awesome feature to have. Hope they develop a driver for XP…

20. Mthaxter says:

It is great to see people helping to find commonalities in this somewhat resurrected feature of Word into NBX6. So let’s see if we can make some defined lines here: 1)Office 2007 into NBX6 on Vista is the apparent combination that works; 2)Office 2003 is definately out of the picture; 3)the proper name of that printer model is “SMART Notebook Document Writer,” and 4)if it says “Print Notebook Capture” it may not work.

With more people on this trail to find how this feature can be made better, we should find more cohesive answers faster.

Thanks!

21. Jim says:

I have tried all of the above on XP and office 2007 and no driver is present. Would love to have the feature.

22. Faigy says:

I have tested this feature on two different computers, It works as described above when the operating system is Windows Vista. It has not changed on Windows Xp.(Tested with Office 2007)

23. Jeanae says:

I have uninstalled the software and the drivers, reinstalled and it still does not work. I have Word 2007. I have emailed SMART Tech and hopefully we will figure it out, seems like a great feature!

24. Mthaxter says:

Hello All,

A friend of ours from SMART Tech, Colleen, informed us that there may be an issue with Word 2003. It appears that with Word 2003, the Notebook Capture is still a static image and non-edittable text.

25. Mthaxter says:

Hello Debbie W.

Similar to my response to Jeanae’s post, make sure you have the latest drivers. To make doubly sure, try this, do a clean uninstall of NBX (if you have Response, leave it on your computer along with all Galleries) and reinstall NXB6, and make sure you have the latest Abode Flash player (ver. 9)which should be part of the download. This should ensure that all parts are working together. Give it a shot and let us know the result.

Good Luck!

26. Mthaxter says:

Hello Jeanae,
    If I ask a simple question…did you install the latest version of NBX6 and its drivers? If you did install the latest version, the Print Capture option should print to NBX6 with the same results. If it does not print the same you may need to reinstall the drivers.

Good Luck!

27. Jeanae says:

I do not get the option of Smart Notebook Document Writer, only Smart Notebook Print Capture. What can I do to get this option?

28. Pingback: Tweets that mention The New and Improved Print Capture in Notebook 10.6 | Tequipment: Blogging About SMART Boards, Resources, Lessons, Training, Games... -- Topsy.com

29. Lynda says:

Thanks for the demo – worked great!

30. Debbie W. says:

I received the following error message when trying to print a Word 2007 document to Notebook 10.6. Any ideas on how to fix it?

“Can’t open the file. If it’s from a newer version of Notebook software, try saving it as a version 9 document.”