Windows 7 and click and drag problems on the SMART Board

For those early adopters out there who have updated to Windows 7, the good news is that Notebook 10.6 has full support for the new operating system. The bad news is that in order to get the SMART Board working perfectly, you need to make one small change to how Windows 7 deals with touch devices.

If you have a computer running Windows 7 and have been experiencing a problem clicking and dragging objects on the SMART Board, the following instructions will provide an answer:

1. Click Start > Control Panel > Pen and Touch

2. Click the “Panning” tab.

3. Uncheck “Turn on Single Finger Panning.”

Hope this helps! You can now enjoy your SMART Board with all the Windows 7 goodness!

This entry was posted in Notebook, Tech Support, Tips and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Windows 7 and click and drag problems on the SMART Board

1. maidybaby says:

At our primary school, we can no longer align our boards. We have tried fine alignment, booting PC before projector, the only solution offered by Smart was to get new boards. Any thoughts?

2. David Gallegos says:

We have upgraded to windows 7(high school environment) and now have connection issues. Teachers are having to use the connection wizard everytime they log in. Never had this type of problem with XP. Any suggestions?

3. Jess Little says:

Is there a solution for Smart Notebook 10.6 text box problem?
    When sections of text are highlighted and dragged out of the text box (like a copy and paste) most of the text deletes.

This feature worked in version 10 and I used it all the time.

Frustrated

4. DeLoney says:

My school district recently installed new computers, Windows 7 and office 2010. Since this instalatiion my Smartboard notebook is not operable. It is grayed out on the menu selection. What do I do?

5. Tammy says:

PLEASE HELP

How do XP users get around this click and drag problem, I cannot find any other solutions on the internet. Thanks

6. Pingback: Mark Bates » Windows 7 and SMART Notebook

7. Jeanine says:

I miss being able to print to smart notebook now that my district has moved to Windows 7. Is Smart working on this problem? Our tech department told me that there is a compatability problems and that is why I can no longer do this when viewing a PDF or a Word document.

8. Michael says:

Notebook 10.6 has click and drag issues on XP as well. I just did the upgrade (from a clean install) on 4 of our machines connected to smartboards, and they all exhibit the same frustrating problem. No click and drag on any object BUT the same object CAN be resized or rotated !!!?
    Also these objects cannot be deleted from the page. from the smartboard – all functions seem to work fine at the laptop end of the connection, just not at the board itself.

VERY frustrating. I see mention of a solution above – what was the solution ??
    Regards from Australia

9. Dave C says:

This is perfect! I just had my O/S changed to Win7 and had major problems with the select & drag. This easy solution solves it. Thanks so much!!

10. Louise says:

Thanks so much for this. I have just had my board installed and fought with this issue all day. I just read your blog and fixed it immediately.
    Thanks

11. Lynn O'Brien says:

We have upgraded to notebook 10.6 and got a patch from SMART just for the upgrade across our school network. However we are now having issues with the click and drag application part and have been unable to get round it. We are running XP and not windows 7.
    Has anyone got any suggestions?

12. MIke B. says:

Good catch, it is great to see that you and your team are on top of finding the configuration issues that could occur when switching operating systems. Keep up the great work!!!