Céad Míle Fáilte! Lá Fhéile Pádraig Shona! A Hundred Thousand Welcomes! Happy St. Patrick’s Day! Keeping the tradition of a post for St. Patrick’s Day, here are a few ideas to bring the Holiday to your classroom with some meaning.
Currently we have a lesson on the Educator Resource Center called, An Gorta Mór, which means “The Great Hunger” in Irish Gaelic. In this interactive lesson, students can analyze and interpret historical writings and images to demonstrate their understanding of the events leading up to The Great Hunger. Formerly called, The Irish Potato Famine, this lesson is note-heavy, yet has interactive activities to reinforce the concepts and definitions presented. This lesson revolves around the history of Ireland from the time of British involvement until the time of the great Irish diaspora. With our thanks, material was granted from the Ancient Order of Hibernians (AOH) in promoting Irish culture and history in the United States.
Other online resources for St. Patrick’s Day are:
- The History Channel resources for St. Patrick’s Day;
- National Geographic resources and quiz about St. Patrick’s Day;
- Irish/English translation tool
- An Irish dictionary and translator from Ireland
- Projects and craft resources for the wee young ones from Enchanted Learning.
Happy St. Patrick’s Day!