Our calendar lesson for November focuses on Simple Machines at the 6th grade level. The three classes of levers are addressed in addition to identifying the levers in a typewriter. The culminating activity integrates writing skills with science knowledge and requires students to create a step by step guide and how to video on how to create a long distance trebuchet. (Download: SMART Notebook, RM Easiteach, ActivInspire)
The following Standards are addressed in this lesson:
- ELA W.6.2 Write informative/explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas, concepts, and information through the selection, organization, and analysis of relevant content.
National Science Content Standards
- Content Standard A: Science as Inquiry: As a result of activities, all students should develop abilities necessary to do scientific inquiry and understanding about scientific inquiry
- Content Standard B: Physical Science: As a result of their activities, all students should develop an understanding of motions and forces and transfer of energy
- Content Standard E: Science and Technology: As a result of their activities in 5-8, all students should develop abilities of technological design and understanding about science and technology.
- Content Standard F: Science in Personal and Social Perspectives: As a result of activities, all students should develop understanding of science and technology in society
- Content Standard G: History and Nature of Science: As a result of activities, all students should develop understand of Science as a human endeavor