Interactive Lecture at ISTE 2018: Creating Your Own STEAM Makerspace Program
Post in News by Marketing Team on 16th May 2018
Makerspaces are becoming cornerstones of schools’ STEAM offerings. From low-tech buildable options, to high-tech coded 3D prints, we’ve got a hands-on session to help you figure out what’s right for your STEAM makerspace.
After this session you’ll be able to:
- Construct a STEAM makerspace plan
- Facilitate a design challenge in your classroom
- Discuss which technologies are important in a STEAM makerspace
Did we mention we’re an ISTE People’s Choice winner? The list of sessions went up for popular vote, and we won as one of the most buzz-worthy workshops!
Here’s an overview of what the session will cover (just in case you needed extra convincing).
- Learn about design challenges and why they’re such powerful tools for inquiry-based learning
- Conduct a mock design challenge with session participants
- Dive into the basics of maker education
- Discuss tools and technologies that you’ll want to consider as you plan your program (e.g., 3D printers, Makey Makey kits, pi-top, and circuitry tools)
- Learn how to design your own student-first makerspace program
We’d also like to shout out Makerbot, who will be helping us during the session with some awesome live 3D printing.
Sounds good, right? We’ll see you there!
When? Sunday, June 24, 10:00–11:00 am
Where? Location announced soon!
Who’s presenting? Jessica Wenke, Curriculum Specialist at Teq
What skill level does this require? Beginners are welcome, as are tech experts!
What’s the grade level of the content? PK-12
Hungry for more ISTE?
- Need some basic info? For general information about ISTE, the epicenter of edtech, visit the ISTE Conference 2018 website.
- Looking for Teq at ISTE? Here’s a helpful floorplan of the Expo space – we’re at Booth #2652 (just search “teq” and it will highlight on the map)!
- What’s happening at our booth? Stop by the Teq booth for amazing STEM sessions on 3D printing, how to hack your DDR, Google Apps for Education, and to learn the basics of circuitry with a giant breadboard. Stay tuned for more info!
- Attend our interactive lecture! Our very own Curriculum Specialist, Jessica Wenke, will be presenting Creating a STEAM Makerspace Program: Ideas and Considerations on Sunday, June 24 from 10-11AM.
- Join us at the SMART booth! Our Director of eLearning, Joseph Sanfilippo, will be at the SMART booth (#1203) running a lesson with some lucky volunteer students. Learn how technology is changing the face of lesson delivery and classroom interaction. Stay tuned for more info!