Digital Citizenship Activities with Edpuzzle
PD Account Manager / PD Specialist
News on October 08 2020
Distance learning is here and will likely be around for a long time. This means that students will be spending a large amount of time on the internet. It is very important to reinforce digital citizenship during these times, and using a simple app like Edpuzzle, you can make fun, interactive activities to help teach these important concepts.
Edpuzzle is an easy-to-use platform to create interactive video activities. What makes it such a great tool for education is that it also has accountability features built in. Using Edpuzzle, teachers can find many videos on YouTube and other sites like commonsense.org. They can also create their own videos using programs like Screencastify to use with the platform. Edpuzzle offers features like cutting and trimming, voiceover, and adding questions to videos to make them more interactive and allow for student accountability.
Steps for using Edpuzzle
- Go to edpuzzle.com and create a free account.
- Create a class for the students or import from Google Classroom.
- Browse through the library of activities or begin your own.
- Create a video activity from a video on the internet or upload your own.
- Use tools to cut or trim unwanted parts of the video.
- Add a voiceover to differentiate instructions for students that might need an extra hand (Note: This option is not available on YouTube videos).
- Add comprehension questions (multiple choice questions can be graded by Edpuzzle, but any short answer questions you must grade yourself).
- Share the activity by email, link, or create a Google Classroom assignment from within Edpuzzle.
Edpuzzle also offers a simple gradebook that allows you to view grades by class, activity, or student. This is a free platform but with limitations that can be unlocked, and premium features that become available with a school subscription.
For more on Edpuzzle
For more information on Edpuzzle, check out the session Engaging Students with Video:EDpuzzle on our OTIS for educators PD platform.
For more tips, tricks, and tools for teaching in and out of the classroom, from Google Meet to Schoology and SMART Learning Suite, check out more articles on our blog.
We also offer virtual professional development, training, and remote learning support for educators with OTIS for educators. Explore the technology, tools, and strategies that can spark student success — no matter where teaching or learning are happening.