Mac OS Catalina and Your SMART Interactive Flat Panel
PD Account Manager / PD Specialist
News on November 25 2019
There has been an issue with the latest version of the Mac OS Mojave and Catalina (10.14) and the touch capabilities with SMART’s interactive flat panels (IFP). For those who are getting or have a new SMART interactive flat panel, some slight tweaking is required to ensure that your new IFP and your latest Mac OS work smoothly together.
Background info on the issue
Before we get started, here are notes from SMART Technologies on SMART Notebook and the Catalina OS. The biggest takeaway here is to make sure your school has updated to the latest version of SMART Notebook and its drivers:
- Resolving issues with installation and use of SMART Learning Suite software on macOS Catalina
- Behavior of unsupported versions of SMART Notebook on macOS Catalina
Here are the steps to get up and running
NOTE: In order to complete the steps below you may need administrator privileges.
1. Go to Apple menu > System Preferences > Security & Privacy. Select the Privacy tab, and then select Accessibility in the panel on the left. (Figure 1)
2. Click the lock icon and enter the administrator account username and password if prompted. Click OK. (Figure 2)
3. If “Notebook” amd “SMARTBoardService” appear in the panel on the right, select the checkboxes next to both items, close System Preferences, and restart the computer. You should now be able to use your SMART Board normally. However, if “Notebook” and “SMARTBoardService” do NOT appear in the panel on the left, continue reading.
4. Go to Finder > Applications > SMART Technologies.
5. Then, select the following Notebook applications from the Finder window and OPEN. (Figure 3)
6. Now back in the Security & Privacy window, select the checkbox next to the Notebook application. (Figure 4).
7. Click on the Padlock to lock the changes. You should restart the computer to ensure that the changes take full effect.
And that’s it! You should now be able to use your SMART Board normally. This procedure will also resolve errant pen mishaps that might have been happening.