How to Change Your Name in Google Classroom
PD Account Manager / PD Specialist
News on April 18 2017
After working with countless numbers of teachers who wish to take full advantage of the G Suite for Education app of Google Classroom, there has been a nagging concern for some—how do I change my name in Google Classroom to have it list as Mr./Mrs./Ms./Miss/Dr., etc?
G+ and Google Classroom
The way for any educator with a Classroom account is to have access to your G+ account. This is an Admin-level permission for the teachers and students to have access to their account. G+ is similar to a social network for Google Account holders. Here, there are community groups, “Circles” of co-workers, friends, and family to share, communicate and interact with. Many schools limit this for students for privacy reasons, naturally.
Google Classroom draws the name information from your G+ account, which was originally drawn from your original account creation by the Google domain admin. Yet, the Google Admin cannot change your G+ information automatically for its staff–this is left for the individual teacher to alter.
Step by Step
When a teacher wishes to alter their Classroom name, the only place to do this is G+.
G+ (Google Plus) is an app that can be launched via the Google Apps Options icon (1) whilst in Google-based apps.
To change your name, follow the steps below:
- Click on the Google Apps Options icon
- Look for the G+ button, and click on it. You will have a new tab open to http://plus.google.com.
- Click on your avatar/icon that represents your Google account and click on G+ Profile
- Click on About
- Click on the pencil icon to edit your User Name
- Change your first name to the proper salutation you wish to have visible to students in Classroom
- When complete, click OK.
For more like this…
Enjoy this article? Check out more great articles by the author, Matt Thaxter, below.
- Export Quizzes from Google Docs to Google Forms with Formenate
- Poll Everywhere: The Poll in Google Slides Edition
For more tips and tricks like this, visit Teq Online PD. With over 250 live and archived CTLE-approved courses on today’s most popular technologies, learn how to make the most of your classroom technologies at your convenience. Don’t have a subscription but want to learn more about it? Click here.